Jan 19, 2018

Crochet 101- Basic Knowledge


[To the reader: If you have any advice or feedback to improve this series of Crochet training, email me at threeknits@gmail.com]

Did you notice the different needles in my logo? Can you identify the crochet needle in them?

The casual term people use to point out most yarn work is 'knitting.' Every crocheter will identify with me when I say this. I often correct them and say, no this is 'crochet'

them: "Crochet!!??"

me: "Yes its done with a single needle."

And then I get this very weird look as if I don't understand what they are saying

them: "Oh you do knitting with one needle?"

Sometimes I just give up and at other times, if I have the patience and if I'm close to my crochet needle, I show them. 80% of them just behave as if the knitting needle was bent with overuse, 15% are stubborn to call it knitting no matter what, 4% just don't care and then there are the 1% who listen, are curious and show interest in what you say.

So what exactly is crochet?

Let's give crochet its own credit now. No it is not knitting. Crochet is an entity a form of art, handwork in itself. It has its own language & script. It's much faster to work with when compared to knitting. Most importantly it uses a 'Single' 'Hooked' 'Needle' unlike its counterpart the knitting :)

and mind you the 't' in the word crochet is silent

What can you do crocheting (t is silent, don't forget)?

 Just like all crafts what can you make is limited by you imagination. What people have achieved are many forms of art, some of which I have listed below
lacework - one of the forms is famously known as Irish crochet
granny squares, ovals, rectangles, circles .....
Amigurumi
Filet work
afghans / blankets - also comes with its own set of crochet needles known as Tunisian crochet
etc etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
powered by Typeform
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Its just the start of a new series, for those looking for a step by step guide into learning / mastering crochet. When I started I was confused with all the information that was available on the web. After having worked my way through learning this skill, now, I've decided to put this training up in an organised format to help all newbies (or oldies) to achieve whatever they wish to. This content is completely researched and written by me so do not pick any information or distribute from here without my permission. You're welcome to add the link to my tutorials on your websites.
Photo Credits: As on Adobe

hands old hands age | By congerdesign | Source pixabay | License No Rights Reserved

crochet hooks needles plastic | By Bluesnap | Source pixabay | License No Rights Reserved


>> [Coming Soon] Chapter 1 - The Chain Stitch, the mother of all foundations!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for taking time to comment. If you start following my blog or subscribe to email, do let me know. Also leave your blog details here, I will surely visit and follow you back. Thanks again.